Advert

add

2 Nov 2012

Fergie Supports REF Clattenburg:“I don’t believe Mark Clattenburg would make any comments like that. I refuse to believe it.


Alex Ferguson

BACKING ... Alex Ferguson has given his support to referee Mark Clattenburg


-->

ALEX FERGUSON has waded into the Mark Clattenburg controversy by claiming he does not believe the referee would make racist comments.


Chelsea accused Clattenburg of verbally abusing John Obi Mikel during their 3-2 defeat by Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
The Blues have made a formal complaint to the FA against the 37-year-old match official, who maintains his innocence.
And Fergie has made his feelings on the unsavoury matter crystal clear.
He said: “I don’t believe Mark Clattenburg would make any comments like that. I refuse to believe it.
“I think it is unthinkable in the modern climate. I just don’t believe it — simple as that.
“There is no way a referee would stoop to that, I am convinced of that.”
Mark Calttenburg and John Obi Mikel
RACE ROW ... Mark Clattenburg is accused of verbally abusing John Obi Mikel

Ferguson has had numerous run-ins with referees during his near 26-year reign at Old Trafford but believes in the integrity of the officials.

He added: “I think in the modern game, the way we see the game today rather than how it was 25 years ago, it has completely changed.

“I played myself and I know the banter that went on between referees and players 25 years ago is different from today.
“I have never heard a player come to me in the last 15 years and say a referee has sworn at them during a game, ever.
“So, that is where I stand. I don’t believe it.”

Clattenburg will receive the full backing of his fellow officials during any investigations.

Assistant referees Michael McDonough and Simon Long, along with fourth official Michael Jones, did not hear anything untoward said on their linked headsets and are expected to say as much in any testimony.
Newcastle-based Clattenburg, who has been stood down for this weekend's round of matches, took charge of his first Football League game in 2000.


No comments:

Dynamo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...